The Share a Yarn initiative aims to provide Australian Elite Athletes with meaningful opportunities to connect and build relationships with Indigenous communities, and learn more about the differing cultures, lands, histories, and people within them.
It aims to provide a platform for athletes to then share these learnings and advocate within the sporting community, and wider Australian community.
To Share a Yarn is to encourage collaborative, respectful, and honest communication between participants; building trust, fostering accountability, and providing a safe place to listen and learn.
Through programs like #ShareAYarn, we are committed to our reconciliation journey for all Australians. We recognise the outstanding contribution Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islanders have made, and continue to make to sport. We denounce racism in any form #InThisTogether.
Athlete Ambassadors have increased knowledge of the traditional owners of Australia, the land, their history, and their culture
Do you want to be a 2021 athlete ambassador?
The Australian Institute of Sport is seeking expressions of interest from Australian categorised athletes and alumni to be ambassadors for the Share a Yarn Initiative in 2021.
You are strongly encouraged to consult with your Athlete Wellbeing & Engagement Provider (AW&E) prior to applying.
Your expectations as an ambassador would be:
- Contracted for a nine-month period as an ambassador.
- Attend the induction camp and associated training for the initiative at the AIS on 1st-2nd March 2021, either face to face or virtually depending on travel restrictions. All associated costs will be paid for by the AIS.
- Actively engage in learning provided as a part of the initiative (minimum two occasions).
- Build relationships with, and support, organisations and the community as facilitated by the AIS (minimum one community visit and one support activity).
- Advocate for positive change in the community (minimum two advocacy activities).
- Complete semi-regular brief evaluations provided through a digital platform.
You will be remunerated $3,000 for this ambassador role
The application form will ask you for basic personal information. Additionally, you will be asked why you want to be involved with Share a Yarn and why you want to engage with the community.
You can respond to these questions in writing via this EOI, or if you prefer, you can share your answers creatively through such mediums as recordings, pictures, videos, storytelling etc which can be uploaded into a drop box within this EOI.
If you have any questions, or require support submitting an application please get in contact with project lead Rhian Bird on firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 5:00pm, 4th February 2021
Share a Yarn Map
The AIS Share a Yarn Initiative presents the Share a Yarn Map as a resource for High-Performance sport; to facilitate learning, and a respect for the traditional owners of the land in which the system operates and athletes train and compete.
For further information about this program or opportunities to be involved please contact email@example.com