What is Champions in Chairs?
Champions in Chairs is an event to bring together sport Athlete Committee Chairs and Senior athlete leaders to focus on current challenges facing Athlete Committees in the High Performance sporting environment.
It aims to provide the athletes an opportunity for additional leadership development, legitimising the athletes' voice, and a unique networking opportunity for future leaders and influencers across the Australian elite sporting system.
Champions in Chairs #2
Champions in Chairs #2 was held virtually on 25 November 2020.
Below is an overview of the event.
- Host: Sam Lane
- Welcome: Peter Conde - AIS CEO
- Guest speaker: Layne Beachley OA - Chair Surfing Australia
- Layne will take part in a Q&A with Sam Lane, where will hear about her inspiring journey from a young athlete, to a seven-time world champion surfer, to her current position as the Chair of Surfing Australia. We will also hear about Layne's personal experience of transitioning from athlete to administration and the advice that she has for current athletes to obtain new skills to progress their future careers.
- Panel Q&A: Annabelle Williams OAM, Ian Robson, Kerri Pottharst OAM
Our panel will explore the following themes:
- Leaderships skills
- Networking skills
- Diversity within athlete representative groups
- How to influence your CEO or Board
- How to make your mark as a Chair
- How to lead an athlete committee
- Athlete networking session via breakout rooms to discuss key themes raised by Layne Beachley and the panel members
- Recap of breakout room discussions
- Thanks and goodbye
Champions in Chairs #2 Speakers