Skip to content
Return to top
Sweet & sour chicken with rice
- 2 tsp peanut oil
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/3 cup chicken stock or water
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- 1 tbsp brown vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ¼ cup pineapple pieces
- 1 green capsicum, chopped into 2 cm pieces
- rice, cooked, to serve
- Heat oil in a medium non-stick frying pan over medium to high heat. Add chicken and cook for 3–4 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add onion and cook for 2–3 minutes or until tender.
- In a bowl mix cornflour and sugar with stock or water until smooth. Start with a small amount of liquid and stir to a paste, then add remaining liquid. Add to the pan.
- Add pineapple juice, vinegar and soy sauce.
- Simmer gently for 1–2 minutes stirring until thickened.
- Add pineapple pieces, capsicum and chicken.
- Simmer for a further 4–5 minutes or until vegetables are tender and chicken is warmed through again. Serve with rice.
|ANALYSIS per serve || 4|
| Energy kJ (Cal) || 1428|
| Carbohydrate (g) ||28|
| Protein (g) ||33|
| Fat (g) ||10|
| Saturated fat (g) ||3|
| Fibre (g) ||1|
Australian Institute of Sport - From the "Survival for the Active Family" cookbook
05 Nov 2018
no, Spice, survival-for-the-active-family