Pumpkin pasta for Kate
- Preparation time 20 minutes
- Cooking time 15 minutes
- Serves 4-6
- 500 g pasta spirals
- 2 kg butternut pumpkin, peeled and cut into 2 cm cubes
- 50 g pine nuts
- olive or canola oil spray
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 375 ml can CARNATION Light and Creamy Evaporated Milk
- black pepper, to taste
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 small green capsicum and 1 small red capsicum, cut into long thin strips
- 100 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 carrot, cut into thin strips
- ½ teaspoon minced ginger
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped fresh red chilli
- Cook pasta according to packet instructions.
- Meanwhile, steam or microwave pumpkin until tender.
- Heat a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat.
- Cook pine nuts for 1 minute, stirring frequently, or until lightly golden.
- Set aside.
- Spray a medium saucepan with oil and heat.
- Cook onion over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until soft and lightly golden.
- Add pumpkin, mash until pumpkin is smooth, gradually adding milk.
- Season with black pepper and nutmeg.
- Slowly bring to boil over medium heat.
- Spray a frying pan with oil and heat.
- Stirfry capsicum, tomato, carrot, ginger and chilli over medium-high heat for 3 minutes, until tender-crisp.
- Drain pasta and divide among serving bowls, then ladle sauce over.
- Top with vegetables and pine nuts.
- Garnish with chives, if desired.
HINT: Pumpkin is easier to peel if microwaved for a few seconds
|ANALYSIS per serve|
|Energy kJ (Cal)|
|Calcium, Fibre, Vitamin C, Zinc, Iron|
Australian Institute of Sport - From the "Survival from the Fittest" cookbook 05 Nov 2018 HINT: Pumpkin is easier to peel if microwaved for a few seconds yes, Pasta, survival-from-the-fittest Pasta