- You will need 6-8 metal skewers or bamboo skewers, soaked in water
- 700g lamb, trimmed and cut into 3cm strips
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp each salt and freshly
- ground pepper
- 1 1/2 tbs dried oregano
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup grated onion
- 1 cup rice (omit for Low Fuel)
- olive or canola oil spray
- 1 large white onion, thinly sliced
- 6-8 pita breads
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 200g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, diced
- 1 cup low-fat tzatziki dip
- Place lamb in a non-metallic dish.
- Combine lemon juice, salt and pepper, 1 tbs of oregano, garlic and grated onion and pour over lamb.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (or overnight) to marinate.
- Cook rice according to packet instructions (omit for Low Fuel).
- Thread meat onto skewers.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill skewers, turning occasionally, until brown on all sides.
- Meanwhile, spray a frypan with oil and cook sliced onion and remaining oregano over high heat, stirring occasionally, for 6 minutes or until soft and golden.
- Remove from pan.
- Quickly heat pita breads on grill until just warmed through, then split in half.
- Combine onion mixture and salad ingredients and divide between pita breads.
- Top with lamb and tzatziki, and serve with rice.
Athletes with high fuel needs (e.g. endurance athletes, athletes who are growing, athletes aiming to increase muscle mass) require extra carbohydrate-based ingredients and a larger serve size
Athletes with low fuel needs (e.g. skill-based athletes, athletes trying to reduce body fat) need to opt for a smaller serve size