Skip to content
Return to top
- oil for cooking
- 500g chicken breast fillet, cut into thin strips
- 1 onion, diced
- ½ stick celery, sliced
- 1 red capsicum, sliced
- 1 green capsicum, sliced
- 150g ham, cut into thin strips
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tsp dried thyme leaves
- 300g uncooked prawns, deveined and peeled with tails intact
- 100g broccoli florets
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Heat oil in a large non-stick saucepan over medium to high heat. Cook chicken in 2 or 3 batches for 5 minutes or until browned.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add onion and celery to the pan and cook until just softened.
- Add capsicum and ham and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add rice and stir until combined.
- Add tomatoes, stock, water and thyme. Cook covered over low heat for 25–30 minutes or until the rice is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken, prawns and broccoli and stir to combine. Cook covered for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally or until the broccoli is tender.
- Serve immediately. Top with parsley if desired.
|ANALYSIS per serve || 6|
| Energy kJ (Cal) ||1953|
| Carbohydrate (g) ||59|
| Protein (g) ||40|
| Fat (g) ||4|
| Saturated fat (g) ||2|
| Fibre (g) ||3|
Australian Institute of Sport - From the "Survival for the Active Family" cookbook
05 Nov 2018
, Rice, survival-for-the-active-family