The Podium Coach Program is tailored to coaches in head coach and senior coach roles in priority National Sporting Organisations (NSOs), the National Institute Network (NIN) and high performance partner organisations who have the capacity and capability to deliver outstanding results for Australia over the next decade.
The program will be delivered over a two year period through a series of face-to-face residential labs, immersive experiences, project work, executive coaching, individual assessment, and regular feedback and reflection.
The Podium Coach Program will fund a maximum of 15 coaches each year, with successful placements determined through a rigorous application and selection process.
|1||21-24 May, 2018|
|2||17-20 September, 2018|
|3||26-29 November, 2018|
|4||20-23 May, 2019|
|5||16-19 September, 2019|
|6||25-28 November, 2019|
A high level overview of program themes is provided below:
This theme will focus on the complexity of Head Coach/Senior Coach roles, particularly working interdependently, managing competing priorities and interests of multiple stakeholders, and the need to remain resilient.
Key topics include:
- Ability to leverage the whole system – drawing upon expertise in all areas of the interdisciplinary team
- Managing internal conflicts and navigating multiple stakeholders with competing interests
- High level influencing and communication skills, including the ability to have difficult conversations
- Strategic planning and thinking for high performance with a readiness to adapt and encourage continuous change
- Complexity of mind; ability to hold the paradoxes (eg competition and collaboration).
This theme will focus on the quality of relationships and their management as keys to the success of the role.
Key topics include:
- Holding a clear understanding of role boundaries, for this role and others surrounding it
- Capacity to challenge own and high performance system assumptions and paradigms
- The dynamic nature of the role demands that the coach be ‘change ready’, recognising the ‘competing commitments’ which might need to be assessed and challenged
- Dealing with ambiguity and working emergently
- Significant media attention, which means communication is key.
This theme will focus on ethics, integrity and personal values and having a robust understanding of self and remaining honest and true to that understanding.
Key topics include:
- Not just the ‘what’ but the ‘how’ – ethical approach
- Holding multiple perspectives and questioning underpinning assumptions (own and others) for integrity
- Values alignment, organising principles/rules of engagement
- Engaging with a process for decision making that is ethical and consistent every time
- Managing high profile athletes and their behaviours requires moral courage on the part of the coach; confidence with humility and ego-health.
2018/19 Podium Coach Program
|Andy Banks||National Diving Coach - Melbourne||Diving Australia|
|Matt Beckenham||Coach||Athletics Australia|
|Ben Bishop||Head Coach Junior Men||Hockey Australia|
|Adam Didyk||Coaching Coordinator / Personal Coach||Athletics SA / Athletics Australia|
|Adrian Hinchliffe||National Diving Coach (Brisbane)||Diving Australia|
|Kristy Keppich-Birrell||Regional Manager||AFL Players Association|
|Emmett Lazich||Lead Coach Nacra & 49er, Australian Sailing||Australian Sailing|
|Shane McDermott||High Performance Coach||Cricket Australia - SA Redbacks|
|Peter McNiel||NSWIS Head Coach - Moguls||NSW Institute of Sport|
|Tom Westgarth||Senior Coach, Women COE||Rowing Australia|
2017/18 Podium Coach Program
|Jenny Brazel||Assistant Coach, Queensland Firebirds||Netball Australia | Netball Queensland|
|Nathan Doyle||High Performance Swim Coach - Paralympic||Swimming Australia|
|Elvis Fatovic||Head Coach - Men||Water Polo Australia|
|Nicholas Flyger||Head Coach (Interim), National Track Sprint Program||Cycling Australia|
|John Hart||International Stream Head Coach, Waverley Gymnastics Centre||Gymnastics Australia|
|Alen Stajcic||Head Coach - Women||Football Federation Australia|
|Francois Vogelsberger||Head Coach - Wheelchair Tennis||Tennis Australia|
|Kate Wilcomes||High Performance Coach||Surfing Australia|
|Lisa Keightley||Head Coach, Wester Fury and Perth Scorchers||Western Australian Cricket Association|
|Brent Vallance||High Performance Coach - Walks||Athletics Australia|